In the exhibition UNDERSTANDING – ART & RESEARCH, curated by Gerald Bast, Alexander Damianisch and Barbara Putz-Plecko (Angewandte) 15 projects of artistic research practice, related work by the artistic researcher Margarete Jahrmann and the Angewandte Artistic Research PhD Programme are presented, all approaches challenging our established perspectives. The exhibition will enhance the understanding of possibilities of research through art in new ways and the driving force of inquiry, artistic and scientific activity. The desire and claim to contribute to the transformation of society can be viewed, examined, sensed, discussed and experienced through examples from research and teaching, science and art, design and architecture. It was newly adapted and designed after presentations in New Zealand (Dunedin School of Art) and Singapore (Nanyang Technological University Singapore).
- Active Public Space / lead Börner & Sommer
- Agent-Trench-Coat and subliminal message App / Jahrmann
- Artist Philosophers. Philosophy as Arts-based Research / lead Böhler
- Choreo-graphic Figures: Deviations from the Line / lead Gansterer
- Conceptual Joining. Wood Structures from Detail to Utopia / lead Kaltenbrunner
- Dementia. Arts. Society. Artistic Research on Patterns of Perception and Action in the Context of an Ageing Society. / lead Mateus-Berr
- Data Loam / lead Widrich
- EVA – Evaluating Visionary Architecture / lead Sommer
- Innochain / lead Bollinger & Jonkhans
- originalcopy. Post-digital Strategies of Appropriation a Performative Research / lead Kargl
- Reset the Apparatus. A Survey of the Photographic and the Filmic in Contemporary Art / lead Lissel
- Socially Aligned Visual Arts Technology and Perception / team Bast, Schnell & Kusch
- Stitching Worlds / lead Kurbak
- The Performative Biofact / lead Strecker
- Transpositions (TP): Artistic Data Exploration / lead Eckel & Schwab
The projects are funded by different funding institutions. Detailed information can be found on the websites of the individual projects and on the homepage of the Angewandte.
Introduced and moderated by Victoria Vesna, UCLA Art Sci center, department of Design Media Arts.
Confirmed participants: Gerald Bast, Cornelia Bast, Amir Baradaran, Marisa Caichiolo, Ina Conradi, Alexander Damianisch, Wenda Gu, Gabriel Harp, Allison Leigh Holt, Dalila Honorato, Margarete Jahrmann, Iain Kerr, Terence Koh, Greg Lynn, Victoria Marks, Laura Parker, Ingeborg Reichle, Ruth Schnell, Siddharth Ramakrishnan, Jiayi Young, María Antonia González Valerio, Linda Weintraub, Vera Wittkowsky, Dajuin Yao.